The Borrowdale Valley has a number of crags which are suitable for first vertical steps on rock – Seathwaite Slabs, Wodens Face and Shepherds Crag. All of which are within easy reach of Glaramara and give great opportunities to improve your Climbing.
We provide helmets, harnesses, ropes (of course) and even ‘sticky’ climbing shoes so that you have every chance of reaching the top before your team bring you safely back down again on the rope.
Climbers wanting a more technical introduction to the sport can take on some of the longer mountain routes in the valley if the weather is favourable – Little Chamonix, Corvus, Gillercombe Buttress and Napes Needle are all close at hand.
- Abseiling can be incorporated into a climbing session or run as a standalone activity.
- In wet weather we climb indoors at Keswick Climbing Wall.
- We operate in groups of up to ten people per instructor.
- This is usually a half day activity, or can be a full day if you prefer.
- Transport, specialist equipment and changing facilities are included.
What to expect on the day
09.15Pick up from your accommodation or meet at the Glaramara Activity hub.
09.30Familiarisation and correct fitting of helmet, harness and rock climbing shoes. Pack ropes and hardware.
09.45Arrive at a climbing venue appropriate for the group and recent weather conditions.
10.00As your instructor safely rigs the venue, take this opportunity to get used to the crag environment. Locate camera for epic cragging selfies.
10.20Briefing on crag safety, belaying technique and tying in correctly.
10.30Spend the next few hours climbing, belaying and learning techniques to move more efficiently on the rock.
12.30Head back to Glaramara or your accommodation.